Monday, February 28, 2011

Remembering the March 1st 1997 Tornado Outbreak

March is upon us and I have to think that it's going to be a wild month. I will post my thoughts on the upcoming severe weather season in the next couple of days. Stay tuned. I'm expecting to be out chasing several days this month. March 1st is the first day of meteorological spring and my daughter's birthday.

March 1st 1997 is also known as the date of one of the biggest outbreaks of tornadoes and severe weather in Arkansas history. I remember being at my daughter's 4th birthday party in Sherwood and having to take cover. Debris from the Benton/Mabelvale tornado was falling out of the sky at my house. Do you remember that day?

All in all, there were 16 tornadoes, 25 people were killed, 426 injured and an estimated 270 million dollars in property damage occurred on that day.  

Click the links below for more information on that tragic day.








Michael (ninja)

No comments:

Post a Comment